"My Word Book"

"Tommy's new words are written in his 'note-book' in print hand, so that he can take stock of his possessions in the way of words." ~ Charlotte Mason 
Mason goes on to describe that these are words the child knows and is able to "pounce upon anywhere".

That quote from Charlotte Mason, recalled to me through Laurie Bestaver's book The Living Page is what made me want to put together some sort of Word Book for the little girls this year.

It was a scene from a movie, though, that gave me the inspiration for what those books might look like.

{ photo from the movie The Book Thief }
In The Book Thief, (an excellent movie based on the book), Liesel is captivated by books but doesn't yet know how to read.  Her adoptive father immediately recognizes this and creates a word bank of sorts for Liesel in the form of a chalkboard wall that wraps around their basement.  As Liesel learns a new word, she runs downstairs and carefully writes her new word upon the wall.  It was a good visual to me of someone taking "stock of his possessions in the way of words."

IMG_7189


Armed with my computer, a classic typeface, our printer and some scrapbook paper, I made "My Word Books" for my pre-reading girls, ages 5 and 6.  (Remembering my book-binding class from college, I also sewed the pages together and taped over the remaining thread, though it's not a necessary step.)

Ta-da!
IMG_7191


IMG_7190

My plan is that as they learn new words throughout the course of our school year, we'll pull out their little books and they will carefully copy down the words they now recognize.

For now, they've just copied down everyone's name in our family.  :) 

IMG_7681
Audra's word book
Perhaps you're not of the mind to sew together pages and don't have years of scrapbook paper on supply as I do.  No problem!  You could easily make one buy buying a blank book (Moleskine, perhaps?) and a set of alphabet stickers and you're set!

2 comments:

  1. I followed a link from Afterthoughts and I just wanted to say, I love this idea! My 8 yo can read, but not very well and doesn't really like it. She thinks it's boring and thinks she "can't". This would be so good for her to see how many words she really does know! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! (And-- I literally *squealed* when I saw that Brandy had linked to this post!) I'm so glad you think this idea will help your daughter. Blessings to you and yours,
      ~Stacy

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.