Books and Podcasts: What we're Reading and Listening to

CIMG0312
Little boy Isaias (from the archives)

Isaias, now 9, just finished reading:
Mattimeo (Brian Jacques)

He is currently reading: 
Farmer Boy (Laura Ingalls Wilder) 
Young Music Makers (Ireene Wicker)




CIMG8664
Little boy Isaac~ in his dressing-up-like-a-cowboy phase
Isaac, now 10, just finished reading:
Wild Trek (Jim Kjelgaard)

He is currently reading:
Red Cap (G. Clifton Wisler)












509206445_1000
Cute little Ella-girl (with bangs!)
Ella, now 12, just finished reading:
The Princess and Curdie (George MacDonald) 

She is currently reading:
Betsy-Tacy (Maud Hart Lovelace, on audio)
A Wind in the Door (Madeleine L'Engle, on audio)
The Savage My Kinsman (Elisabeth Elliot) 
{my reads}
I just finished reading:
A Praying Life (Paul Miller)
I am currently reading:
A Mother's Heart (Jean Fleming) 
How Should We Then Live? (Francis A. Schaeffer)
Teaching the Right Brain Child (Dianne Craft)

{reading aloud}
We are working our way through The Bronze Bow (Elizabeth George Speare), which is excellent.  We all love it.  We're also reading The Story Book of Science (Jean-Henri Fabre) and The Heroes, or Greek Fairy Tales (Charles Kingsley).  In the evenings, Mark is reading aloud Mary Emma & Company (Ralph Moody), as we work our way through the Little Britches series. 

{podcasts}
Occasionally Mark and I will work on a puzzle while listening to a podcast together, which has been so enjoyable.  Other times I've snuck in a listen while I've been cooking or on the treadmill.  Here's the list of what I've listened to:

from Sarah's inspiring Read-Aloud Revival podcasts:
Episode 1: Reading Aloud to Older Kids
Episode 2: Engaging Conversations- How to Talk to Your Kids About Books
Episode 8: Every Book is a Mystery
Episode 10: The Art of Choosing Books

Andrew Pudewa: Nurturing Competent Communicators
Andrew Kern: Teaching Literature Without Killing the Book or Student

Many thanks to Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things for this post of her favorite podcasts.  :)

Okay, now tell me.  What have you been reading or listening to?


7 comments:

  1. And how cute are these throwback pics of your kiddos???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't even tell me my previous thoughtful comment didn't show up. Blogger has it out for me, Stacy. Waiting to see if it magically appears...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treat to see your name in the comment section of my blog, Jodi! How are you?!? Sorry about the comments! :( I know of at least one other person who has had that problem with their comment disappearing but I sure don't know what to do about it. Love to you and yours, friend!

      Delete
  3. Hello! Yes, it happens frequently. :P In my original comment I had mentioned that though I don't comment as often anymore your blog is still my favorite. :) We're doing well! We started school this week and are trying to find our rhythm. School always seems to take all day long those first couple weeks.

    We're reading The Whipping Boy right now and for our next read aloud I'm debating between a George Mueller bio and Landmark's story of the pilgrims. With the start of school I haven't had much time for personal reading the last few weeks, but I'm working through a novel called The Wild Girl (historical fiction about the Grimm brothers) and Surprised by Oxford (a memoir written by the daughter-in-law of one of our pastors). I always love to hear what you're reading and read about how you're doing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm so sorry. There are blogs I comment to that can be pesky so I always try to "copy" my comment before publishing. That way I can always paste if need be later. But what a drag!

      So good to hear an update from you. Happy beginning of the school year to you all! Boy, do I know what you mean about still trying to find our rhythm. We're three weeks in already and we're still trying to find ours.

      I'll have to look into The Whipping Boy. I don't think I'm familiar with it. And your reads-- I'll check at the library for them. Thanks for the recommendations.

      Love to you, friend.
      Thanks for taking the time (and time again and again) to comment. :)

      ~Stacy

      Delete
  4. It's a pleasure! I just finished The Wild Girl and there were some details of their romance which were over the top. On that basis I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to others, although I did enjoy it. In the true style of a Grimm fairy tale, there were some pretty dark parts, but it was interesting to learn about the Grimm family. The Whipping Boy inspired some good discussions with the kids. It was pretty short and the kids begged for "one more chapter" through the whole book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.